One could also use the CMS Multitasking queues as mechanism.  For the
exec logic itself it would be transparent if the both users are on
different systems or not.
For cross-system, non SNA, support this would be required:
  TCP/IP line driver for CMS distributed queues.
  http://www.vm.ibm.com/download/packages/descript.cgi?TLD
Instead of sockets, one'd code things like at the client:
 call csl 'QueueOpen mtrc mtre qn qnl sv svl qh el'
 call csl 'QueueSend mtrc mtre qh cmscmd cmdlen ko kl'
and at the server;
 call csl 'QueueCreate mtrc mtre qn qnl vm_ipc_nlevel qh'
 call csl 'QueueReceiveBlock mtrc mtre qh ',
          'matchkey matchkeylen timeout ',
          'cmscmd rcvbuflen cmdlen ',
          'ko kl suid spid rt'

I've got a QDEMO/QCLIENT/QSERVER example created by Brian Wade that
sends a CMS command for execution, but I no longer remember where I
got them from. I can send them.

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support