I would not run linux virtual machines under a 2nd level z/VM for production -
including VAL/DEV which, to me, is production, albeit lower case.  3rd level
linux is not an ideal production environment.  I think IBM would say this is
not a production environment.

LPARs LPARs LPARs.

You can achieve your desired separation of say PROD, VAL, and DEV by putting
them onto their own vswitches using different OSA ports, or even over the same
OSA ports using vlan while remaining in 1 LPAR.  Either way you get complete
isolation. I support a few production environments where we have over 35
vswitches coming into the same LPAR to achieve isolation.

Running 2nd level z/VM systems is invaluable for testing, servicing, patching,
but not as a host for linuxen providing any services.

On the issue of LPARs, there is a cost to separating out workloads into
multiple LPARs as desirable as this may be.  The memory assigned to an LPAR is
committed; so if you have a lightly used LPAR its memory is unusable by other
LPARs.

Splitting workloads out on different LPARs can be useful for HA purposes.  If
you have some sort of broker or workload balancer running on your physical
servers, you can take an LPAR down for maintenance, and still provide
application availability on a different LPAR.  Highly attractive.

David Kreuter