Terry --

You've already gotten great advice.
I would add that you do NOT need to split your workload
between the tiers or zones.  It was not completely clear to me,
but it sounded like that was one of your expected LPAR splits.

You can achieve isolation of the zones without having to run
yet more VM partitions.  You DO want to partionally isolate your
production and test/dev, but you don't need that added complexity
to defend a multi-tier architecture.  VM insulates virtual machines
nicely along zone boundaries.  HOWEVER, selling this to your
directors, developers, and security people might be difficult.

-- Rick;   <><