If the z/OS machines are all running as guests of the same VM system,
there are no hardware reserves that are needed or would do any good. All
that is needed is the Virtual R/R. The reason for this is that any guest
can update a disk that is reserved by any other guest of that system if
you are trying to use the hardware R/R. The device is reserved to the
LPAR that issued the RESERVE, not to the user or job that issued it.
Thus the need for the virtual R/R to keep the guests from clashing.

VM does not try to handle hardware R/R. That is the province of the
guests using the device. If you are trying to have a VM guest share a
real DASD device with another z/OS running in a different LPAR, you need
to use the real R/R which requires that the devices be defined as
SHARED. Without the SHARED attribute, a RESERVE CCW will not be honored
by VM. My memory is failing me - I don't remember whether the CCW will
simply be ignored or whether an error will be reflected to the guest. I
would suspect that it is the latter because that is what hardware that
does not support R/R would do, it would reflect a UC with Command
Reject.

To further complicate matters, it is possible to have both types of
sharing at the same time. To do that, you need both the SHARED parameter
in the device definition or via the SET SHARED command and you must have
the V suffix in the mode specification of the MDISK statement in the
device owner's directory entry.

Regards,
Richard Schuh