On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 08:56:40 -0600, Wilson, Roger <roger.wil...@milwaukee
.gov> wrote:

>I'm beginning to find this out.
>
>I guess I'm trying to figure out the curve and Pipes on the fly....

That's the trouble with reading manuals. You get the rules, but not the h
ow & why. You miss the
folklore. In this case, CHARIN/CHAROUT/LINEIN/LINEOUT are documented, but
 IBM does not warn
you not to use them.

There is much useful folklore scattered through the pages of the this lis
t (and VMSHARE). But who
has time to read them?

P.S. Folklore is not necessarily false. (Nor are "old wives tales".)

It is passed along informally. Originally mouth to mouth (odd expression,
 that!). I think informal
transmission by email or mailing list still counts as folklore. (Blogs al
so? Wikipedia?) Once it gets
written into a manual, or a FAQ, then I don't think it is folklore.

Alan Ackerman
Alan (dot) Ackerman (at) Bank of America (dot) com