Cliff,

I know you are running with multiple z/VM systems, each with VM:Tape and
VM:Backup.  Please be sure you reviewed the VMBACKUP CONFIG file from
the system you are experiencing this behavior (do you see RESERVE TAPE
commands being issued on all of your z/VM systems, or just this one [as
opposed to RESERVE SCRATCH commands]).

If you are sure your are seeing RESERVE TAPE commands issued by
VM:Backup to VM:Tape (instead or RESERVE SCRATCH commands) and you are
certain your VMBACKUP CONFIG states RESERVE OFF ... call the support
center to open an issue because you should not.

JR (Steven) Imler

CA

Senior Sustaining Engineer

Tel: +1 703 708 3479