On Wednesday, 01/21/2009 at 02:44 EST, Mark Pace <mpac...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Latest layer 2 / layer 3 vswitch question.
> Within z/VM 5.4,  can I have 1 layer 2 switch for my guests that support
only
> layer 2, and a layer 3 switch for linux and TCPIP?  Both would be
connected to
> the same OSA (z9) via different triplet addresses.

Yes, you can do that on a z990/z890, z9, or z10 as long as you have May
2006 or newer microcode.  (This is mentioned in the OSA-Express Customer
Guide and Reference, p.13.)

BTW, with z/VM 5.4 you have layer 2 support for VM TCP/IP.  Linux has had
layer 2 for a long time.  You don't need a layer 3 VSWITCH unless you have
z/OS guests.