I've got to learn to keep better notes.  This worked once in my z/VM 5.4
under z/VM 5.2 running in an LPAR with a GP engine.
Now I'm trying to do the same thing,  z/VM 5.4 as guest in z/VM 5.2 in an
LPAR with an IFL.  I have defined a NIC for the 2nd level z/VM 5.4 guest,
and connected it to the layer 3 vswitch.  Now in z/VM 5.4 when I try to
define a layer 2 vswitch with that NIC I get errors.

define vswitch vswtch1 rdev 600 contr * ethernet
VSWITCH SYSTEM VSWTCH1 is created
HCPSWU2832E Connection 0600.P00 for VSWITCH SYSTEM VSWTCH1 is not active.
HCPSWU2832E A mismatch was found in the LAN transport type.
HCPSWU2830I VSWITCH SYSTEM VSWTCH1 status is disconnected following error.

I can not figure out what I'm doing differently this time. I'm certain,
mostly, that it is not the IFL.