From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of Rob van der Heij
Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 10:07 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Correcting Statements From Marketing

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 3:50 PM, Robert J Brenneman <bren...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> There is most definitely a MP factor with IFLs, just like there is
> with CPs, and just like there is with every other SMP architecture
> that exists today.  There is no significant difference between an IFL
> and a ***full speed*** CP when it comes to the MP effect and capacity
> planning.

The sentence resembles the tests at school where you have to put words
on the dots to make it a correct statement. Maybe IBM marketing folks
were unable to finish that one. And I can see why...

I have seen a similar statement with zAAP sizing. If z/OS is indeed
such that management of those processors runs on the zAAPs itself,
then you could conclude that adding zAAPs to your configuration does
not increase the MP overhead in z/OS itself as when you added real
CPs.

But the thing that *is* relevant to z/OS shops is that adding IFLs to
their CP-only machine (to run z/VM and Linux) does not increase the MP
effect in z/OS. Adding 10 IFLs does not slow down your 10 CPs running
z/OS (apart from low level hardware effects like sharing the bus and
cache with twice as many processors). My guess is that the person
writing that sentence wanted to clarify this part.

But your guess is a good as mine. Rob
--
Rob van der Heij
Velocity Software

Please see the following link for the BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee E-mail
disclaimer:  http://www.bcbst.com/email_disclaimer.shtm