From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On Behalf
Of Jack Woehr
Sent: Friday, February 06, 2009 2:18 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: lOGON WITH OUT ipL'ing

Michael Coffin wrote:
> The "hang" you are referring to is the VM READ that occurs after you
> IPL CMS, right?

Yah, you and Richard Schuh have confirmed what dawned on me finally today :)

So why does CMS alternate between "VM READ" and "RUNNING" if I just sit there
popping CR's into the terminal?

My guess: D'oh, CMS is "RUNNING" and then you hit CR which "interrupts"
it (because this is the historical CP handling of terminals, that programs
"run" and are "interrupted" by the terminal) and that's when you get VM READ
and then you hit CR and CMS is "RUNNING" again?

--
Jack J. Woehr            # I run for public office from time to time. It's like
http://www.well.com/~jax # working out at the gym, you sweat a lot, don't get