On Thursday, 02/12/2009 at 04:16 EST, Colin Allinson
<cgallin...@amadeus.com> wrote:
> Alan Altmark <alan_altm...@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> >
> > I would say "No."  You have LOGON BY access, but that doesn't confer
> > "modify the directory" permission.  If MAINT is LBYONLY (in the RACF
> > sense) then you need to make such changes from another user who is
> > authorized to act FOR MAINT.
>
> From my point of view I would have thought that this is not what you
would
> want. In our installation, for security reasons, privileged functions
are not
> carried out on personal userids and all privileged userids (including
MAINT)
> are LOGONBY. This means there is an audit trail of who did what.
>
> MAINT has been set to 'DIRM NEEDPASS NO' for as long as I can remember
so I
> can't remember how we did that in the first place but it is certainly
what we
> would want.  The alternative is for function to be distributed and then
you
> have little chance of following or controlling/auditing what is going
on.

I'm not denying the requirement (need/desire) for the capability.  The
question was asked whether the way it works is correct or not.  It is
working as we (IBM) intend.  Over time I hope to provide better controls
for this sort of thing.  It was not until recently that LOGON BY
considerations began to appear in implicit authorizations.

This leads me to ask:  Is NEEDPASS YES still needed?  I view it as an
anachronism from an older time when we didn't have autolock screensavers
and generally more stringent workstation security policies.  No more
"always on" terminals.