> Last time I tried 3rd level guests it was fairly painful not sure what
subsystem to blame.
Not that I'm a z/VM guru by any means, but ... I have found the peformance
of 3rd level Linux systems to be anywhere from perfectly acceptable to
lethargic/downright annoying.  When I'm on a system that is approaching
annoying I will often do a "top". Now that the steal percentage (%st) is
reported, the values can be very telling. I will see steal rates in the
70-85% range.  As I understand it from people who are z/VM gurus, this
happens when the system is doing a lot of I/O and the third level guest
has to go in and out of SIE constantly.  On second level Linux systems,
the steal percentage usually maxes out in the mid-single-digits.

"Mike MacIsaac" <mike...@us.ibm.com>   (845) 433-7061