Tom Duerbusch wrote:
**  I didn't say dedicated disk...I said dedicated disk space.  The
point was that where you can share CMS minidisks (not in multiple write
mode, you can't share CP areas).

Good point ! Although you can share the config disk I think (Maint CFx disks).. IIRC, SYSTEM CONFIG has provision for being used by multiple systems.. But yes, I misconstrued your statement.

**  I don't recall the we had MIF/EMIF in the old days.  Yes, we do
now, but mainframes have a lot of history behind them.
AFAIK, MIF/EMIF came pretty early with LPAR. I think even the 3090 S or J models had MIF/EMIF.

Err.. Even with a small CP nucleus.. I don't think you could ever run VM/370 R6 with less than 512K

**  Maybe.  We had VM running on and IBM 370/158.  And it didn't have
much storage on it.  But I don't recall how much.
I think the smallest S/370 you could run VM/370 R6 was the 370/138 Model 1 (with 512K) - and that was pretty much borderline.. You probably weren't left with much more than 30 or 40 pages for virtual machines at that point.. The 370/138 Mod II already had 1MB.. Not sure about the 158, but it must've had at least 1MB.

--Ivan