Hi,

We use 2nd level VM for test, preparation of VM upgrades, etc. - in respect to that it is a VERY strong capability, which also shows the maturity of the System z virtualization. But personally I would on the other hand never consider running production in 2nd level.

According to my measurement a 2nd level guest risk running many magnitudes slower than a first level guest. But it depends on the workload characteristic. If you want to see some measurements, you can refer to section 5.4 in my masters thesis: http://www2.imm.dtu.dk/pubdb/views/edoc_download.php/5483/pdf/imm5483.pdf . You'll probably find some factual inaccuracies in the thesis (it was never reviewed by VM/zLinux experts), but the measurements and numbers are correct.

/Klaus

Owen, Jerry W. (AITC) wrote:

For all of you old timers that have used VM since it landed on Plymouth Rock, what are the pros and cons of using a second level VM system?

Thanks in advance.