On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 12:51 PM, Michael MacIsaac <mike...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

>> Last time I tried 3rd level guests it was fairly painful not sure what
>> subsystem to blame.

> Not that I'm a z/VM guru by any means, but ... I have found the peformance
> of 3rd level Linux systems to be anywhere from perfectly acceptable to
> lethargic/downright annoying.  When I'm on a system that is approaching
> annoying I will often do a "top". Now that the steal percentage (%st) is
> reported, the values can be very telling. I will see steal rates in the
> 70-85% range.  As I understand it from people who are z/VM gurus, this
> happens when the system is doing a lot of I/O and the third level guest has
> to go in and out of SIE constantly.  On second level Linux systems, the
> steal percentage usually maxes out in the mid-single-digits.

Nor am I.

The trick with V/SIE hardware support is that popular scenario's can
be done with a "virtual SIE exception" and thus remain entirely within
(the outer) SIE.  When it does not, you get a real SIE intercept and
outer CP gets the overhead.
I plan to attend session 9273 at SHARE, that might have some data about this :-)

I question the idea to blame I/O. After all, CP is already involved
with I/O. And we see that doing CMS is not bad at all in a 2nd level
z/VM in LPAR. The performance problem shows when you do Linux for
example - I am looking at data where CP overhead is 2 seconds for each
second of virtual time.

When you play with virtual addressing beyond the 2 supported layers in
SIE, first level CP ends up doing the old game of shadow tables etc,
like what you had in the early days with VM/SP.

Rob
--
Rob van der Heij
Velocity Software