You can dynamically add extra DRCT areas on any CP owned pack.  There is no
need to keep DRCT area in one extend either, I never encountered CP problems
wit a DRCT area split in two pieces.

You are right that Q ALLOC DRCT will not display the added/enlarged area's
until you IPL (or ar eable to DETACH&ATTACH that pack to SYSTEM.

If tjhe DRCT area is too small (like now), CP directory updates are simply
impossible

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support