I really appreciate all of the replies. What I have gotten out of them is that I can add additional DRCT space on a CPOWNed volume and it will be put into use immediately. Of course, by adding DRCT space, I'm referring to doing a CPVOL FORMAT of the space, specifying in the TYPE operand, DRCT. I should be able to follow that with a DIRM DIRECT or DIRECTXA. I understand that a subsequent CP Q ALLOC command will not show the additional space until an ipl is done.

Is my understanding correct?

Jim

Schuh, Richard wrote:

------_=_NextPart_001_01C998F9.B0ECC7BF

That is a welcome change from the former action. Having a new allocation
map wiped out at shutdown time was the source of a considerable amount
of head scratching. In my case, it was new PARM disk allocations that
got hammered. Thank you Bob or whoever wrote the code.=20

Regards,=20
Richard Schuh=20

--
Jim Bohnsack