From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of Eric R Farman
Sent: 12 March 2009 17:49
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Incremental Flashcopy backups.

Hi Crispin,

Take a look at z/VM 5.4 APAR VM64449.  It expands the existing Class B
FLASHCopy command to allow privileged users to establish and manage
Persistent Flashcopy relationships.  (The existing command creates
point-in-time copies, where the relationships are destroyed as soon as
the copy completes.)  If I understand what you're looking for, it would
be a persistent relationship with change recording enabled (this is an
option on FLASHCopy ESTABLISH), followed by periodic FLASHCopy RESYNC
commands to bring the target up to the state of the current source,
since the last Flashcopy command was issued.

There is also a Class B Query command that lets you interrogate the
state of all your Flashcopy relationships, beyond the existing command
(Class G Query Virtual) that queries those relationships inside a
virtual machine.

Regards,
           Eric

Eric Farman