Rob van der Heij wrote:
>When you issue the READ you get control back when the user hits an AID
>key. At that point there's one line stacked for each change on the
>screen. You can decide whether XEDIT should update the file being
>edited or not. When you have processed the stacked lines, you issue
>another READ until you have seen the signal to terminate (eg PFK 3).

>From your earlier posts, Richard, I think you've been doing READ not READ ALL.
>As Rob's example below shows, READ ALL is different.

>Try something like this to see what happens:
>/* */
>'READ ALL NUMBER TAG'
>address command 'PIPE stack | cons'

>Warning: READ used to be a NOP when there is a line stacked when it is
>invoked. I don't see it mentioned anymore in the notes, so it may have
>been fixed. It was a very popular cause for such applications to get
>into a loop.

Still true. Gotta be careful to drain the stack before a READ.

Also note that READ NOCHANGE TAG gets you not only everything changed (despite
the lack of ALL), but doesn't allow actual screen changes, *AND* interprets
CTLCHARs.  You can use this for a Q&D (very D!) display manager. HELP uses it
-- it's undocumented but not going away. A very useful idiom. It might well be
easier for you to format the entire screen and read your "prefix" areas thus,
rather than using the actual prefix area.

...phsiii