the "XEDIT User's Guide" might help you; it has examples and guidance on
writing prefix macros and using READ

From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On Behalf
Of Schuh, Richard
Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 4:45 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: XEDIT Macro

Is there any way to access the prefix area of a line from an XEDIT Macro? I see
nothing in the EXTRACT command. Am I missing something there? Is there some
other way to access it?

Regards,
Richard Schuh

This e-mail, including any attachments, may be confidential, privileged or
otherwise legally protected. It is intended only for the addressee. If you
received this e-mail in error or from someone who was not authorized to send it
to you, do not disseminate, copy or otherwise use this e-mail or its
attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete
the e-mail from your system.