We have a dedicated install environment. So a new zvm gets it's own
guest system. A distribution system that contains directories and local
configuration members is used for building new VM images.

When we build a new VM, or rather build a new respack, we copy (DDR
and/or CMS COPY) only those minidisks from the installation image we
actually need in our production VM's. Some minidisks are rebuild with
our own code. Such as a PROFILE EXEC on the AUTOLOG1 191 or a dedicated
configdisk for CMS services. That will leave us with 1) a respack with
only IBM code we need for production images and 2) a dedicated spool
pack for this zvm version. The respack doesn't hold any data we want to
keep (for instance EREP, MONWRITE, DISKACNT etc) and other DASD do not
contain any minidisks that are part of the IBM code. The directory gets
loaded with the current production directory but obviously with the new
IBM minidisks (the minidisk extents usually do not change in a new
version so we take the old directory and change the volumelabel for the
respack). Because the code is separated from the data we never have to
copy datadisks from a live production image. The only thing we have to
move during a migration are the spoolfiles from the old SPOOL pack.
Obviously it will take some time to sort out the minidisks but it will
save a lot of time when building or migrating a (new) VM.

Regards, Berry.