Performance Engineering/CTR) (CTR)"              <terry.mar...@cms.hhs.gov>
wrote:

> I am using SWAPGEN to define by z/Linux VDISKS I also want to define a
> real disk for swap. My question is can I use SWAPGEN to define a swap on
> real DASD? If you have an example of the control card syntax to
> accomplish this that would be great?

SWAPGEN only exists because VDISK are ephemeral.  If you create one and use
"mkswap" on it, there's no guarantee that swap signature will be there the next
time the Linux system gets rebooted, because the guest may have been logged off
before being rebooted.  Rather than alter each Linux guest's startup scripts,
SWAPGEN just makes it appear as though the VDISK never went away and came back
again.

Real disks don't have that problem.  So, just give the Linux system the disk,
bring it online, create a partition on it, use mkswap to turn it into a swap
device, and then "swap on" to activate it.  Update /etc/fstab to make the
change permanent and you're done.  Well, re-run mkinitrd and zipl so that the
DASD volume will come back next time also.

Mark Post
  • ... Martin, Terry R. (LOCKHEED MARTIN Performance Engineering/CTR) (CTR)
    • ... Mark Post
    • ... Adam Thornton
    • ... Barton Robinson
      • ... Scott Rohling
        • ... Rich Smrcina
          • ... Scott Rohling
            • ... Mike Walter
              • ... Rich Smrcina
                • ... Rob van der Heij
            • ... Martin, Terry R. (LOCKHEED MARTIN Performance Engineering/CTR) (CTR)
              • ... Marcy Cortes