________________________________

From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of Martin, Terry R. (LOCKHEED MARTIN Performance Engineering/CTR)
(CTR)
Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2009 5:35 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: [IBMVM] SWAPGEN

Scott Wrote:

A real disk might make real sense with an ill-behaved, unpredictable
guest that is causing you swapping headaches.

 This is exactly why I want to allocate a real disk. I understand the
theory behind what Rich and Barton are saying but in practice all
workloads are not created equally. In my case I am planning for what I
already know can happen (saw it during testing) so knowing this that is
the only reason I am considering a real disk as a last precaution. Of
course I am working with the application developers to enhance the
efficiency of the application which is the REAL BANG FOR THE BUCK!

Thanks to all for all of the responses it is much appreciated.

Thank You,

Terry Martin

Lockheed Martin - Information Technology

z/OS & z/VM Systems - Performance and Tuning

Cell - 443 632-4191

Work - 410 786-0386

terry.mar...@cms.hhs.gov <mailto:terry.mar...@cms.hhs.gov>