> I'll shuddup now ;-)

I won't shuddup now!  I suspect that some "Blanket statements" can turn
out to be "Wet Blanket statements", ruining the party at some customer
sites, especially at new z/VM sites running POC's on hand-me-down machines
without a lot of real memory.  As always: "**It depends**!!"   {probably
(c) Bill Bitner}

Saying that all Linux swap disks should be defined as VDISKs does not take
into account different customer situations.

We happen to be blessed with lots of cheap(er), hand-me-down DASD from the
500lb Gorilla.  OTOH, we _could_ be short of real memory (three large z/OS
guests in a virtual sysplex on that system).

Memory can be relatively expensive compared to relatively cheap DASD
(especially when one gets "hand-me-downs").

Those secondary 'warning flag' VDISKs eat away at real, shared memory.  If
you have a lot of Linux guests and not a lot of spare memory, aside from
making a call to delight your IBM hardware rep, you might want to
consider/total the memory cost of hundreds of small 'warning flag' swap
disks vs cheap disk.  After all, they those swap disks are not supposed to
be used regularly.  They are a warning that something else needs to be
evaluated and improved - maybe even making that servers swap VDISK larger!
 More likely: trimming the default virtual storage size of the Linux guest
to something a lot smaller than the x86 folks say it MUST BE to function
properly.

But if you let a lot of servers fail over onto the warning flag swap disks
without doing anything about it, then someone could complain that all your
Linux guest performance is bad and abandon the migration to the mainframe.
 Of course, a good performance monitor **and the skills to understand how
to use it and how to fix the problems** can alleviate that situation. That
assumes a lot, as many new z/VM customers (and many old ones, too!) don't
have those skills.

ensure that the warning is to pop up properly when they are used (as
Barton mentioned), test that warning by causing swap to the failover disk
(VDISK -or- real disk, regardless), and then react promptly when something
sets off the alert in production.

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates

Disclaimer: What I -don't- know about performance fills lots of books...
literally!

"Scott Rohling" <scott.rohl...@gmail.com>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
04/29/2009 08:51 PM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: SWAPGEN

Right - I got that from Barton's post.

Consider that there are times when using a real disk might make sense ..
I'm just not big on blanket statements...   Dedicating a resource is not
always a big waste and does not always benefit one to the detriment of the
rest.  It's a balancing act and it takes all the tricks in the bag to keep
it from falling over.  A real disk might make real sense with an
ill-behaved, unpredictable guest that is causing you swapping headaches.
That's what I was trying to point out..

Maybe I'd stay quiet if I saw some qualifiers like 'in general' when
people talk about BIG/REAL WASTE.   Guidelines are nice, but I object to
them being presented as 'rules'.

I'll shuddup now ;-)

Scott