Richard,

You have the same questions I had when I started to put  in place our DR
solution. We also have 3590E drives and I never tried to remove the hard
drive default compaction. I don¹t see a reason for that. Now choosing
software compaction is a must if you have enough cpu to do the work for
backup and ALSO for restore. For us we can spend more time to use software
compaction because we know that we have enough cpu to do the work at restore
time offsite. The gain at restore justifies to take more time at backup
processing. It¹s true too that software compaction takes less tapes than
with no compaction.
If you have many dasds to backup and a time constraint to restore i would
suggest you to both use hard and software compactions. Our idea is to say
that when we restore in a DR test the cpu is used ONLY for restore. Why not
fully using it !

Regards
Alain Benveniste