We have no problems "feeding the beast". We are writing to a remote SL3000
across the wire, a high speed wire to be sure, but one that is shared by other
systems doing similar things. The network people have determined that our
workload will not strain the capacity, and they appear to be correct. A backup
of our larger VTAPE (VSSI version) library takes between 2.5 and 3 hours when
the output is to local tape drives (Ficon connected) and only a few minutes
more, less than 15, when writing to the remote site which is 1500 miles away.

> Doing software compression, only makes sense to me if you are
> going over slow (escon) channels.
>
> Given all that....
>
> In DR tests, less tapes seems to be a good thing.

With the current high-capacity, high-speed drives, the number of tapes is well
under control. The VTAPE library backup mentioned above requires only a single
tape to back a 26 (3390-03) volume library that typically runs 80% or more
occupancy.

> The DR site has better, faster, hardware then most of our shops.
> (everything is ficon)  You may buy less MIPS but you can't
> buy less I/O thruput.
> It takes more CPU to compress data then it takes to expand the data.
> i.e. worry about your own MIPS.

We have the same kind of h/w as the DR site. It is an LPAR carved out of a
system at our second continental datacenter. We may on occasion, for a short
while, have better equipment than it. The prudent path is usually to install
the new hardware on the VM development system before implementing it on the
production systems. We get the devices and processors before that are deemed
acceptable as replacements for the hardware used by TPF.

> In general, I don't see the benefit in software compression,
> when hardware compression is available.  But if you tested
> the difference in your site, and you have come to a software
> compression conclusion, more power to you.  Each site has a
> different set of concerns.

The original question had as much to do with is there anything to be gained
using both types of compression because the defaults for both Hidro and the
tape drives is to compress the data or, if not, which was likely to be better
at doing the compression. It would appear that h/w alone is the answer. That
is, it is if the SL3000 does the compaction prior to sending the data across
the wire.