Ok so you can feed the beast, when running software and hardware
compression.  Good.

The software compression is able to read/compress/send down the channel
at a rate of 14 MBs.   The hardware compression isn't going to do much.
Normally, compressing a compressed file makes the file grow slightly.
So the 14 MBs keeps the tape moving.  You might be able to send data
down a little faster until the tape controller is full, then you will be
throttled down to native tape drive speed.

If you turned off software compression, then you need to send to the
drive at a rate near 42 MBs (3:1 compression) in order to keep the tape
moving.  That may or may not be doable at your shop, with your current
hardware.  You're ficon, which can do it, but I've never experienced
distance communication at or near the "rated" speed.  Always less.  How
much less and does it make a difference?  14 MBs is about 112 mbs.  42
MBs  is 336 mbs.  And how many transmissions are happening over that
line at the same time?  All factors feed into keeping the tape heads
spinning.

I would still test turning off software compression and see what you
get.  Buying back mainframe CPU cycles is normally a good thing.  But if
they would just go to waste anyway, and software compression is the only
thing that can keep the drive going, then that is a good use of
mainframe cycles.

However, leaving on hardware compression, really doesn't have much of a
cost.

If you later add in encryption, the rule to follow is to compress first
then encrypt.  If you encrypt first,  you will have a much larger file
as compression will have no effect.

We were specing out SAN attached IBM 3592 tape drives.  Couldn't be
done within budget as most of the network was 1 gb switches, and the
3592, to be driven, needed 2 gb switch (to operate one drive) and 4 gb
switch to operate both drives.  The SAN disk space, which is fairly old,
needed to be upgraded to support the higher transfer rate.  (Basically,
cheaper to replace the SAN, but no budget for that.)

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

>>> "Schuh, Richard" <rsc...@visa.com> 5/4/2009 12:30 PM >>>

We have no problems "feeding the beast". We are writing to a remote
SL3000 across the wire, a high speed wire to be sure, but one that is
shared by other systems doing similar things. The network people have
determined that our workload will not strain the capacity, and they
appear to be correct. A backup of our larger VTAPE (VSSI version)
library takes between 2.5 and 3 hours when the output is to local tape
drives (Ficon connected) and only a few minutes more, less than 15, when
writing to the remote site which is 1500 miles away.

> Doing software compression, only makes sense to me if you are
> going over slow (escon) channels.
>
> Given all that....
>
> In DR tests, less tapes seems to be a good thing.

With the current high-capacity, high-speed drives, the number of tapes
is well under control. The VTAPE library backup mentioned above requires
only a single tape to back a 26 (3390-03) volume library that typically
runs 80% or more occupancy.

> The DR site has better, faster, hardware then most of our shops.
> (everything is ficon)  You may buy less MIPS but you can't
> buy less I/O thruput.
> It takes more CPU to compress data then it takes to expand the data.

> i.e. worry about your own MIPS.

We have the same kind of h/w as the DR site. It is an LPAR carved out
of a system at our second continental datacenter. We may on occasion,
for a short while, have better equipment than it. The prudent path is
usually to install the new hardware on the VM development system before
implementing it on the production systems. We get the devices and
processors before that are deemed acceptable as replacements for the
hardware used by TPF.

> In general, I don't see the benefit in software compression,
> when hardware compression is available.  But if you tested
> the difference in your site, and you have come to a software
> compression conclusion, more power to you.  Each site has a
> different set of concerns.

The original question had as much to do with is there anything to be
gained using both types of compression because the defaults for both
Hidro and the tape drives is to compress the data or, if not, which was
likely to be better at doing the compression. It would appear that h/w
alone is the answer. That is, it is if the SL3000 does the compaction
prior to sending the data across the wire.

> Tom Duerbusch
> THD Consulting

> Richard,
>
> You have the same questions I had when I started to put  in
> place our DR solution. We also have 3590E drives and I never
> tried to remove the hard drive default compaction. I don¹t
> see a reason for that. Now choosing software compaction is a
> must if you have enough cpu to do the work for backup and
> ALSO for restore. For us we can spend more time to use
> software compaction because we know that we have enough cpu
> to do the work at restore time offsite. The gain at restore
> justifies to take more time at backup processing. It¹s true
> too that software compaction takes less tapes than with no
compaction.
> If you have many dasds to backup and a time constraint to
> restore i would suggest you to both use hard and software
> compactions. Our idea is to say that when we restore in a DR
> test the cpu is used ONLY for restore. Why not fully using it !
>
> Regards
> Alain Benveniste
>
> Le 29/04/09 20:46, « Schuh, Richard » <rsc...@visa.com> a écrit :
>
> > We are working on a DR process. I notice that the defaults for a
> Hidro backup
> > include the PACK option which tells Hidro to pack, or condense in
> some
> > fashion, its output. The output is being written to 3590E drives.
It