We are working on a DR process. I notice that the defaults for a Hidro backup
include the PACK option which tells Hidro to pack, or condense in some fashion,
its output. The output is being written to 3590E drives. It appears that there
are three choices we can make for condensing the data: software only, hardware
only, or a combination of the two (uncompacted was purposely omitted from the
list). Which is likely to give the best results? Does software compaction
produce consistently lower output volumes than letting the drive do it? Is
there anything to be gained by using both h/w and s/w? Obviously, software
compaction costs in terms of cpu time. The question is, is it worth the time
spent?

Regards,
Richard Schuh