Layers upon layers.
Or ... airport hubs and multi-hop flights.
You need to go from Nashville to Brimingham, but you're flying Delta.
Well, Delta's hub is in Atlanta, so your trip will have a layover there.
Might as well drive!

Maybe you got a new office.
You're spartan enough, so you can haul your stuff within the same building.
Oh ... but there's a contract with some facility manglement firm, so
you have to pay $300 for them to do it ... just because.
And you have to wait.

In this case, NFS brings more overhead.  LOTS more.  (Disclosure: I
use NFS ... A LOT ... but I also know there are times one should not
use it.)  Using NFS to give Linux access to SFS files is ... like that
Atlanta layover.  Overhead makes z people ... well, twichy.  (Some z
people and other systems programmers actually shudder at wasteful
overhead, though I that the concept is of no concern to ... er, uh ...
Agile programmers.)  (Ooohhh...  I may have hit a nerve with that
jab.)