From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of Adam Thornton
Sent: Friday, May 15, 2009 13:00
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: [IBMVM] Was I confused? L2 Guest LAN, z/VM 5.4

On May 15, 2009, at 2:29 PM, Miguel Delapaz wrote:

Adam,

> Transport Type: IP

This says your NIC is defined as Layer 3.

> 14:55:58 DTCOSD355E OSD device ETH1: Possible LAN transport
misconfiguration detected during OSD device initialization.

This says you tried to attach a Layer 3 NIC to a Layer 2 LAN (or
vice-versa)

Indeed.

I defined it to TCPIP with DIRM NICDEF.... and I don't see any way to
specify whether I mean Layer 2 or Layer 3.  I just defined it as QDIO.

I think my cough syrup is failing me.  How do I tell DIRMAINT, "no,
really, QDIO *ETHERNET*" ?

Adam