From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of Alan Altmark
Sent: Monday, July 20, 2009 5:12 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Operator Console

On Monday, 07/20/2009 at 11:14 EDT, "Martin, Terry R. (CMS/CTR) (CTR)"
<terry.mar...@cms.hhs.gov> wrote:

> I have defined a ICC console (36B) I added this address in the System
Config as
> the console and specify it on the LOAD parameter at IPL time. After
the
IPL
> operator was logged on to the ICC console without a problem. I decided

to logon
> to Operator HERE at my desk so it took it away from 36B to me. Now I
want to
> XAUTOLG OPERATOR ON 36B. When I try I get the following error message:
>
> HCPAUT051E GRAF 036B is not enabled
>
> I display the device 36b and it says it is enabled:
>
> q 36b
> GRAF 036B ENABLED
>
> Is this happening because I defined it as a console and I cannot
XAUTOLOG
> Operator? Any help would be welcome.

XAUTOLOG ON will give HCP051E for one of three reasons:
- ENABLE has not been issued for the device
- The device has an enable pending (i.e. waiting for the device to come
online)
- The device has an enable/disable in progress

QUERY only tells you if you have issued the ENABLE command.   Like
Marcy,
I suspect that the device was in Purgatory for some reason.  If the
problem is reproducible, then I would open a PMR.   I don't think you
should have to VARY OFF/ON before you ENABLE -- how rude.