The Hercules-390 mailing list on Yahoo has a discussion.
Copy the zVM DVD image to a directory, then IPL with "IPL
/path/to/install/image/ZVM.ins".  Note that you boot the *.ins file rather
than a device address.  Make sure that you have sufficient storage defined
(zVM 5.3 requires at least 3GB),  a SYG console defined at 0000 (place "0000
 SYSG" in hercules.cnf) and have a 3270 emulator connected to the console
port.