From: "P S" [zosw...@gmail.com]
Sent: 08/12/2009 08:04 PM AST
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: How to tell how many linux running on z/VM?

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 7:22 PM, Schuh, Richard<rsc...@visa.com> wrote:
> Strong incentive to make sure that either all of the linux guests IPL from
> the same virtual address or, at the very least, that none of them has a
> virtual 190.
>
> As long as you are using something fuzzy to make the determination, you can
> also see the virtual storage in the response to IND USER. CMS guests are
> usually measured in MB, not GB.

This is a really interesting thread. As Richard notes, all these
methods are "fuzzy", but all are useful; a combination should be
pretty definitive.

One more approach: set something distinctive for each guest -- a
printer at address FFFF, a specific accounting code, etc. -- and use
that (subject to other site restrictions, of course). Or do the same
for non-Linux guests and divine by elimination...

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents may
contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender
by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including any attachments. Any
dissemination, distribution or other use of the contents of this message by
anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. All messages
sent to and from this e-mail address may be monitored as permitted by
applicable law and regulations to ensure compliance with our internal policies
and to protect our business. E-mails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to
be error free as they can be intercepted, amended, lost or destroyed, or
contain viruses. You are deemed to have accepted these risks if you communicate
with us by e-mail.