So true Dave,
What is obvious to some of us is obviously not so obvious to others  ;-)

Another thing that has been suggested on this list is to have a section of
the USER DIRECT for LINUX guests so you can see what you have by just
looking at the USER DIRECT of course this is for those that are using
DIRECTXA and have no directory maintenance product .
ex:
*  z/VM 5.3.0  SYSTEM DIRECTORY                               *
*   3rd Party Products
*   BBH User Id's
*   BBH z/LINUX user id's
*   BBH  2nd Level Guest for NEW Version of z/VM  5.4.0
munson
201-418-7588

Dave Jones <d...@vsoft-software.com>
08/13/2009 09:31 AM
Please respond to
The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: How to tell how many linux running on z/VM?

Well, simple for you, Bill, with your mumble, mumble years of VM
experience....:-) You already know that the ESAxxxx machines are
Velocity products, FTPSERVE, PORTMAP, SMTP, etc. are part of the VM
TCP/IP stack, and so forth. That knowledge may not be available to folks
just now getting their feet wet in a VM environment.

That's why I suggested the TRACK approach....it's an explicit and
deterministic method for identifying Linux guests.

Have a good one.

--
Dave Jones
V/Soft

*************************** IMPORTANT
NOTE***************************** The opinions expressed in this
message and/or any attachments are those of the author and not
necessarily those of Brown Brothers Harriman & Co., its
subsidiaries and affiliates ("BBH"). There is no guarantee that
this message is either private or confidential, and it may have
been altered by unauthorized sources without your or our knowledge.
Nothing in the message is capable or intended to create any legally
binding obligations on either party and it is not intended to
provide legal advice. BBH accepts no responsibility for loss or
damage from its use, including damage from virus.