From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of Florian Bilek
Sent: Monday, August 31, 2009 4:24 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Reaction of z/VM when losing a page dataset

Dear all,

I am wondering about the reaction of z/VM in case it would lose one or
two
page datasets.

The reason is that I have a configuration with two DS-8000 where the
page
datasets are spread all over those two machines.
DS-1 has the sysres, spool, and some page datasets and DS-2 it has
additional page datasets. The system disks are mirrored by PPRC. So in
case
DS-1 will become unavailable I can continue on DS-2. This will be
disruptive
of course. Since the page datasets consume a lot of addresses we don't
mirror them.

In case DS-2 would become unavailable, would z/VM then crash?

Would it be better to have all CPOwned volumes on one DS-8000 or can my
current configuration remain as it is? Any opinion is appreciated very
much.

Furthermore I would like to ask if the new version of z/VM will allow
emptying a page dataset in order to drain it and detach it without IPL.
just experienced that a drain of that volume not really helps.

Thank you very much in advance.

Kind regards,
Fox
This email is intended for the recipient only.  If you are not the intended
recipient please disregard, and do not use the information for any purpose.