The difference between CMS and Linux in this case is just a matter of tim
before problems occur. Linux wants to use all of its storage early, CMS u
ses
all of its storage over time. Both will use all of their storage eventual
ly.

CP is built to overcommit storage. It just lets you REALLY overcommit
storage. But it would be nice if there was some sort of sanity check in
there somewhere.

/Tom Kern

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 13:12:38 -0400, Bruce Hayden <bjhay...@gmail.com> wro
te:

>The problem isn't that you did an IPL, it is that you IPLed Linux.  An
>IPL of CMS in an 8 TB machine doesn't have any delay or cause a
>problem:
>
>def stor 8t
>STORAGE = 8T
>Storage cleared - system reset.
>i cms
>z/VM V5.4.0    2009-07-13 11:58
>
>Ready; T=0.01/0.01 13:06:21
>q v stor
>STORAGE = 8T
>Ready; T=0.01/0.01 13:06:26
>q stor
>STORAGE = 4G CONFIGURED = 4G INC = 128M STANDBY = 8G RESERVED =
 0
>Ready; T=0.01/0.01 13:06:57
>
>An IPL of ZCMS blows up, though.  Maybe they didn't test it with that
>large storage.
>
>On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 12:02 PM, Marcy Cortes
><marcy.d.cor...@wellsfargo.com> wrote:
>> See a thread on this list with subject "Sanity check?" from Oct 2007 f
or
what happened when I did the same thing ;)