On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 3:06 PM, Huegel, Thomas <thue...@kable.com> wrote:

> I don't know that I want CP to do anything different than it does now
> EXCEPT I want z/VM to a) keep running and b) have some facility that I
> can use to be able to examine the system to find/fix the problem... I

I agree.  The mainframe has a long history of managing over committed
resources, but Linux is presenting new challenges since it was not written
to be virtualized.

Rob noted earlier:
> One of the problems with booting Linux is that it determines the size
> of the virtual machine by testing pages rather than ask CP about it.

It seems to me that this will become a problem in other virtual environments
as well and, similar to the timer tick problem, another opportunity for the
mainframe to show Linux a better way to behave.

If Linux does not use up all available space when it starts, there is
opportunity to monitor and intervene before it gets critical. Then we do not
have to worry about making sure all our virtual blocks fit in the virtual
toy box.

> don't know/care how that get's done, maybe reserving some page space for
> CP and/or a special 'hook' into the HMC.. I'll leave that up to the
> developers.

Ethan