On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 18:12:02 -0400 Tony Thigpen said:
>The following story was told to me by an IBM EC back about 1985.
>In Huntsville, AL, a few years earlier, a disgruntled employee went
>around the building, turned all the keys to off and removed them. He
>then walked out with them. Back then, there were several different key
>numbers used and it took IBM about a week to get all the possible keys
>and get the company back up and running.
>
>Our EC told us to go put the keys in the 'on' position and remove them
>so we would not have the same exposure.

Actually, you couldn't remove the keys in the ON position on the models we
had.  Think about it for a second.  You are a student who doesn't want to wait
for lab time with terminals with keys, the keys can't be removed unless they
are locked.....  We ended up opening up all the terminals and switching the
leads from the lock, so that putting the key into the lock and turning it
locked the terminal.  Turning the key and removing it unlocked the terminal.

/ahw