Tried MAILIT?
(there you can use HTML if you like, and multi-part emails)

Oh yes... I remember having learned recently that Outlook has a setting to
"reflow" text lines (that is: Outlook then ignores -some- of the CRLFs).
The same mail looked fine in Lotus/Notes, but wrong in Outlook, until the
Outlook user found that setting, he didn't know why it got turned on for
that mail.  And, yes, it was created by MAILIT.

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support