From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of Schuh, Richard
Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 7:16 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: SENDFILE with SMTP

I am trying to send a report to e-mail addresses on a Windows based LAN
using SENDFILE. Originally, the RECFM of the file was V. When the report
arrived, the 5th line was concatenated to the 4th and the 10th to the
9th. All other lines were correct. There are no weird bytes at either
end of any of the records. For the record, the current LRECL is 94,
lines 4 and 5 are each 49 bytes, 9 is 50 and 10 is 32.  There are other
consecutive records having lengths that match either the 4-5 or the 9-10
combinations. This does not appear to be a record length problem

I have tried various things while attempting to fix this:

1. x'15' at the end of every line. No concatenation, but every line was
double-spaced.

2. x'15' at the end of lines 4 and 9. No concatenation, but 5 and 10
were double-spaced.

3. x'0D' at the end of each line. No affect, the error still occurred
the same as the original failure.

4. x'0A' at the end of each line. Error still occurred, and there was a
small square at the end of each line.

5. x'0D0A' at the end of each line. Double-spaced, concatenation still
present, square as above.

6. Copied the file making the RECFM F, LRECL 94. Success. Other LRECLs >
94 also work.

Just for grins, I tried using HTML enrichment. The result was chaos,
even if I sandwiched the report between <pre> and </pre> tags.

Now for the questions:

Why just those two concatenations?

Should any of those attempts have succeeded while the RECFM was V?

I am perfectly willing to create the report as RECFM F. That will,
however, require that I either make the LRECL something at least as
large as the largest possible record (which is unknown at this time) or
create the file as format V and then use

        'COPYFILE fn ft fm (RECFM F'

To convert it before sending the mail. The latter is the method that
will cause the least pain.

Regards,
Richard Schuh