Hi, Stephen.

There is a difference between the cryptographic co-processors IBM provides as cryto-accelerators in the z9-z10 hardware and the CP Assist for Cryptographic Function (CPACF) features. The cryptographic accelerators are very fast cryptographic hardware designed to accelerate the performance of the complex RSA cryptographic operations used with the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) and Transport Layer Security (TLS) protocols supporting e-business.

CP Assist for Cryptographic Function (CPACF) provides support for a set of symmetric cryptographic functions such as DES, TDES and SHA1, with a 'key in the clear' interface, via the KM and/or the KMC hardware instructions. These cryptographic functions are aimed at encryption, decryption and hashing of data transferred over open networks and data sent to storage.

To the best of my knowledge, z/VM provides no command to query if your processor has the CPACF instructions available or not. I do have a routine here I would be happy to share with you that will detect if those instructions are available, and, if so, tell you what options they support.

Have a good one.