Do not be so sure that the crypto cards will help with CPU over CPACF.  It
depends upon what the vendor is doing.

For SSL and communications things, the crypto cards help.  For symmetric
ciphering, CPACF is an order of magnitude faster.  Go check the white papers at
IBM for details.

Remember the crypto cards are on the I/O bus and not directly part of the CPU
like CPACF.  So they have slightly higher overhead to get to them.  In
addition, IBM has never documented how to access the crypto cards directly so
the only way there is through ICSF.  That also slows things down.  A program
can access CPACF directly to do ciphering.  The program does need to protect
the keys itself instead of relying on the crypto cards/ICSF/trusted key
workstation to protect them.

Lloyd