On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 2:40 PM, Gentry, Stephen
<stephen.gen...@lafayettelife.com> wrote:

> Now, it's back to the vendor to work out the run times. I also realize
> that a crypto card would help this job run faster.  The CPACF less so.
> However 13 hours for a normal 30 minute job . . .

Hang on...  depending on the configuration, using the crypto card may
actually slow you down. That's the polling that I referred to.
After the crypto operation is started, the driver checks back after 10
ms to see if it is done. Some of the operations apparently could be
done in less than 10 ms with normal CPU instructions, so your
application does less transactions per second (but is way cheaper in
CPU cycles).
The developers added the option to make it busy wait on the crytpo
card so you get more transactions done, at higher cost per
transaction. I suppose it can even happen that you now have to wait
longer because busy in one server prevents the other from retrieving
the result and free up the cryptic processor...  But we know that from
real life: it appears to take longer when you're waiting for it...

This does not apply to the CPACF you asked about. That happens inline
(and keeps your CPU busy for the duration, but much shorter than when
you would do it yourself)

Rob
--
Rob van der Heij