Gary,

You can *ask* about best practice, but in this case no one can say
what's universally best, not to mention what's best for you. I still
think you got some answers and a few examples of what people are
doing.

It depends on what events do you want to protect yourself against, how
quickly do you want your system or its parts back online, how much of
the most recent data are you prepared to lose, and how much can you
pay. Answers to these questions can lead to DR strategies ranging from
a crumpled piece of paper in your pocket to a spare HAL in the orbit
(I'm sure he'd support z/VM if asked politely).

With the prices of disk storage and comms channels going down,
mirroring to another site gained in popularity, but that's certainly
not an answer for everyone. With modern disk systems and their fancy
features you can make snapshots during the day and be happy with that.

All these things said above are, admittedly, as much of an answer for
z/VM as for any other operating system. If you are concerned about
software failures or failures of z/VM features, then you first need to
know the administrative processes of each feature, and that will give
you an idea about a recovery process. In general, tape or virtual tape
or disk-to-disk backups are your best friends. If you are concerned
about CMS application recovery, then checkpoints are your better
friends. Nothing new here. Depending on the amount and type of
checkpoint data, you may use GLOBALV command, TDISKs, VDISKs,
dataspaces, spool files, messages to "master" virtual machines with
databases, and many other ways to achieve this.

I, and more knowledgeable people on this list, would really need more
specific info from you.

Ivica