>Hi all,
>        I know there are other ways of doing this, but I can't let go of
this now that I've thought about it.

>        I have a simple 2nd level test system running. I want to send a
file from 1st level to a user on the 2nd level system. I'm trying to use a
process from the dark ages of VM/370.

>        SPOOL D LEVEL2
>        SPOOL D CONT
>        PUNCH PUNCH HEADER A ( NOH
>        PUNCH THIS FILE A ( NOH
>        SPOOL D NOCONT
>        CLOSE D
>
>        On 2nd level do a START C and the file goes where it needs. The
question comes about the contents of PUNCH HEADER file:

>        USERID MYID
>        :READ THIS FILE
>
>        Card one is wrong and I can't remember/find the correct format.
HCPRSR431E says it should be ID MYID or USERID MYID but neither works.

>        Ideas?
>

>Bob Bates
>Enterprise Hosting Services
>w. (469)892-6660
>c. (214) 907-5071

Bob - here's the set up I use on my test system:

SYSTEM CONFIG has this one line added:
RDEVice 000C Type Reader

and I use this EXEC to send files to it:
/*
 *  Send a file to my second level ViCom system
 */

  address command

  arg fn ft fm .
  if fm = '' then fm = '*'

  'STATE' fn ft fm
  if rc = 0 then do
    'CP SPOOL PUNCH PRUITER2 CONT'
    'PIPE literal ID PRUITER NAME' fn ft'| punch'
    'NETDATA SEND' fn ft fm 'TO PRUITER AT PERRY (NOSPOOL'
    'CP SPOOL PUNCH CLOSE NOCONT'
  end; else
    say 'File' fn ft fm 'not found'

exit

That exec ensures the file has a name in queries and the netdata headers
are set up so receive, rdrlist, etc. work as expected.  Adjust the
userids, nodes as for your use (PRUITER2 is the first level userid running
CP, PRUITER is the userid on the second level system to receive the file
and PERRY is the second level system's node name).
IPL CP with the reader empty, send a file, CP START 00C on your second
level OPERATOR and the reader will continue to read files as they arrive
for the life of the IPL ... Perry

Perry Ruiter
250-658-6517