Mike,

excellent idea - here is my approach to the same concept

I define the 2nd level guests REAL address to the 1st level guest
to move things to 2nd level and then link/access them that way of
course the 2nd level guest is not UP during this process.

*   BBH  2nd Level Guest for NEW Version of z/VM  5.4.0
*
USER BBHVM540 xxxxxx   64M 128M BG
   ACCOUNT 2 OPERATOR
   IPL CMS
   MACH ESA
   OPTION TODENABLE
   CONSOLE 0009 3215 T OPERATOR
   SPECIAL 0040 3270
   SPECIAL 0050 3270
   SPECIAL 0100 CTCA
   SPECIAL 0200 CTCA
   SPECIAL 0312 CTCA
   SPOOL 0003 PRINTER A
   SPOOL 000C READER A
   SPOOL 000D PUNCH A
   LINK MAINT 0190 0190 RR
   LINK MAINT 019D 019D RR
   LINK MAINT 019E 019E RR
   MDISK 0191 3390 0709 5 V3W001 MR READ WRITE MULT
*
* Start of 2ndlevel definitions
*
*  zVM 5.4.0 access to Maint's 191 Mdisk
   MDISK 2191 3390 0511 175 540RES MR READ WRITE MULT
*  zVM 5.4.0 access to Maint's CF1 Mdisk
   MDISK 2CF1 3390 0039 120 540RES MR READ WRITE MULT
*  zVM 5.4.0 access to Maint's 193 Mdisk
   MDISK 2193 3390 0686 167 540RES MR READ WRITE MULT
*  zVM 5.4.0 access to Maint's 2CC Mdisk
   MDISK 22CC 3390 0506 005 540RES MR READ WRITE MULT
*  zVM 5.4.0 access to Maint's 500 Mdisk
   MDISK 2500 3390 2503 600 540RES MR READ WRITE MULT
*  zVM 5.4.0 access to Maint's 19F Mdisk
   MDISK 219F 3390 9045 100 540RES MR READ WRITE MULT
*  zVM 5.4.0 access to Autolog1's 191 Mdisk
   MDISK 3191 3390 3178 001 540RES MR READ WRITE MULT
*  zVM 5.4.0 access to Operator's 191 Mdisk
   MDISK 4191 3390 9300 100 540RES MR READ WRITE MULT
*  zVM 5.4.0 access to vmutil  's 191 Mdisk
   MDISK 5191 3390 9160 015 540RES MR READ WRITE MULT
*  zVM 5.4.0 access to watcher 's 191 Mdisk
   MDISK 6191 3390 9175 015 540RES MR READ WRITE MULT
*  zVM 5.4.0 access to diskacnt's 191 Mdisk
   MDISK 7191 3390 9145 015 540RES MR READ WRITE MULT
*  zVM 5.4.0 access to erep    's 191 Mdisk
   MDISK 8191 3390 9190 100 540RES MR READ WRITE MULT
*
*  End  of 2ndlevel definitions
*

Bill Munson
Sr. z/VM Systems Programmer
Brown Brothers Harriman & CO.
525 Washington Blvd.
Jersey City, NJ 07310
201-418-7588

President MVMUA
http://www2.marist.edu/~mvmua/
http://www.linkedin.com/in/BillMunson

Mike Walter <mike.wal...@hewitt.com>
12/18/2009 10:34 AM
Please respond to
The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Old question

I didn't want to interrupt the thread discussion regarding the proper ID
card format and procedures.  That's good to have documented on the list.

But now that Kris has suggested the excellent CPHOST, I'll offer another
simple method disk-to-disk copy technique (usable by those not permitted
to download tools): Define a minidisk on both systems, on the same DASD at

the same extents for both systems.

E.g. on *both* systems define in the directory:

     USER XFERONLY NOLOG
     MDISK 1000 3390 begcyl endcyl volser RR

Normally, defining such "overlapping" MDISKs is a very bad practice with
CMS filesystem mdisks.  Overlapping MDISKS, Oh MY!!

But in this case you are using it ONLY to transfer files between systems
in a pretty manual and serial manner.
So...
1) On the 1st level system you link and access the disk R/W, copy some
files to it, the release and detach.
2) On the 2nd level system link and access the disk (R/O or R/W), copy the

files from it, perhaps erasing them since you will probably need the disk
space for file transfers again later.

That simple process can be reversed to copy files from the 2nd level to
1st level systems.

Now... what happens if you accidentally have the XFERONLY MDISK linked and

accessed R/W on both systems, and ... copy files to it from both systems
without following the above process?  Well, you encounter the same problem

that you've been warned about since you first came to z/VM... the CMS
filesystem on that disk is trashed; what I call "one-way encryption".  But

so what?  Those files were only COPIES of files that you still have on the

original 1st or 2nd level system!  Just release and DETACH the XFERONLY
disk from one of the systems, and from the remaining R/W system format the

MDISK and copy the needed files to it again -- this time following the
serial process listed above.

Result? Either-way file transfer without ID cards, virtual punches and
virtual readers, RSCS, or any other communications facilities.  This
method is especially useful early in the z/VM installation process, when
you're trying to get your common tools to the 2nd level system (PROFILE
EXEC, PROFILE XEDIT -- by whatever name, etc.).

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates
The opinions expressed herein are mine alone, not my employer's.

"Kris Buelens" <kris.buel...@gmail.com>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
12/18/2009 02:14 AM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Old question

A file sent this way will appear without spool filename/filetype in
RDRLIST.  If you've got my FILELIST modifs from the VM download library,
you can enter "Rename" in front of such files in RDRLIST and the spool
filename/filetype will be set to the original CMS fn/ft (on condition
NETDATA/DISK DUMP/PUNCH(HEADER was used).

At the other hand: since CP recognizes dynamically added disks, it is easy

to make your secondlevel guest LINK to the first level MDISK.  And, if you

install CPHOST from the VM download lib, a CLASS A user can do
   CP CP1 LINK somefirstlvluser 191 199 RR <password?>
   CP ATTACH 199 * 199 R/O
   ACC 199 Z