On Thursday, 01/14/2010 at 10:58 EST, "Stricklin, Raymond J"
<raymond.j.strick...@boeing.com> wrote:

> Just as a matter of clarification, can I ask why someone would put login

> credentials inside of an EXEC that calls FTP, in preference to making
use of
> NETRC DATA ?

(cough) The security exposure and subsequent audit failure is the same,
whether you have a clear-text password in an EXEC or a NETRC file.  In
either case, the password should be in clear-text only in flight, not at
rest.  While at rest it should be encrypted (preferred), hashed, or
otherwise obscured.

This is why user certficate support for Secure FTP is needed.  Then you
won't need a password (unless the other end requires 2-factor
authentication).