On 1/14/10 11:59 AM, "Alan Altmark" <alan_altm...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, 01/14/2010 at 10:58 EST, "Stricklin, Raymond J"
> <raymond.j.strick...@boeing.com> wrote:
>
>> Just as a matter of clarification, can I ask why someone would put login
>
>> credentials inside of an EXEC that calls FTP, in preference to making
> use of
>> NETRC DATA ?
>
> (cough) The security exposure and subsequent audit failure is the same,
> whether you have a clear-text password in an EXEC or a NETRC file.  In
> either case, the password should be in clear-text only in flight, not at
> rest.  While at rest it should be encrypted (preferred), hashed, or
> otherwise obscured.

At minimum, stored in SFS where you can apply file-level security.

> This is why user certficate support for Secure FTP is needed.  Then you
> won't need a password (unless the other end requires 2-factor
> authentication).

Ugh. Can we try to avoid more certificate-based stuff until there is a sane
way to manage the things? That's why SCP is more widely used than SFTP;
certificate management is a enormous pain. We won't go into the cost and
extortion involved in getting external assurance for CA identities.

ISAKMP would be a LOT less of a pain. Or GSS-API support.