On Thursday, 01/14/2010 at 12:25 EST, David Boyes <dbo...@sinenomine.net>
wrote:
> Ugh. Can we try to avoid more certificate-based stuff until there is a
sane
> way to manage the things? That's why SCP is more widely used than SFTP;
> certificate management is a enormous pain.

ssh has certificate management issues, too.   But I agree that central
administration of certificates would be a Good Thing.

> We won't go into the cost and
> extortion involved in getting external assurance for CA identities.

Dude.  If you want *assurances* about identities, it isn't free.  No one
said otherwise.   Who issues your certificates for ssh?  Oh.  You generate
them *yourself* and ask the server admin to install your public key (or
via other key management mechanism)?  I'm not impressed.