MDC works at storage speed; controller cache needs to get out the z.

Ages ago (but still a bit valid to see gross orders)
 Disk = 30 msec
 CU Cache= 3 msec
 Storage = xx nsec

An MDC cache hit is also less costly in CPU than a real IO.  But, MDC with a
very poor hitratio makes you consume too much  CPU.
Extra advantage MDC: when the wanted data are not in the MDC, CP reads the
whole track.  Good for sequential processing. bad for random access.  Then
you might want to look at using RECORDMDC instead (but, I thinks that's only
for CMS formatted minidisks, no help for VSE).

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support